What Can You Do to Protect Yourself From Oral Cancer?
- Quit tobacco, which is unsafe in any form. Free help is available.
- Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables while avoiding preserved meats — which, like tobacco, contain nitrosamines.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure to your lips.
- Visit your dentist regularly. Oral cancer screenings are part of all routine dental checkups.
- If you notice any unusual bumps, sores or other changes in your mouth or throat, make an appointment with your dentist or doctor immediately. The survival rate for oral cancer goes up dramatically the sooner the disease is treated.